Support in the form of VENTURE CAPITAL includes the entry into the ownership structure and management of the enterprises together with private investors with capital investments (venture capital and mezzanine capital).
|Brief description of the product
Venture capital for rapid growth of young enterprises within SEFs “VENTURE CAPITAL FUND” has provided support in the form of co-investment venture capital fund for the period 2009 -2015 and included entry into the ownership structure and management of the enterprises, together with private investors with capital investments (venture capital and mezzanine capital). These alternative forms of financing were used to support the promising, innovative and fast growing enterprises that have penetrated the global market.
Support in form of venture capital has been, until August 2015, performed through the established public-private partnerships, after August 2015 a new line of support for venture capital is in plan, which will follow the guidelines of the EC and the Republic of Slovenia. The current directive of the European Commission is the implementation of such financing in the context of cross-border funds. If Slovenia decides to follow these guidelines, also SEF will follow them.
Venture and mezzanine capital investments in the enterprises were performed by selected venture capital firms (DTK), which entered into a public – private partnership with the state.
|The form of aid
The support provided by the selected companies in form of venture capital, was:
- capital investment in the enterprise (venture capital and mezzanine capital),
- entry into the ownership structure of the enterprise and thus the joint accountability for the enterprise growth,
- cooperation of DTK at the strategic directions of growth and development,
- assistance in all areas of business (legal, financial, market positioning, …).
|The purpose of the product
The purpose of the product is:
- development of an existing venture capital market in Slovenia and thereby an increase of of private venture capital companies,
- promotion of equity investments in micro, small and medium-sized enterprises in the form of venture capital investments and mezzanine capital,
- support for SMEs with high growth potential with easier access to fresh financial resources and, consequently, an easier and better foreign market penetration.
The beneficiaries were young enterprises (younger than 5 years), which are promising, innovative and fast growing enterprises in Slovenia that penetrate global markets
|Maximum amount of support
The capital investment in small and medium-sized enterprises from the DTK can be in the max amount of 1.5 million EUR per year.
|Average maturity of investments
In case the product is carried out through intermediaries (DTK’s), the detailed conditions and procedures for the participating private DTK’s are defined in the public tender.
Support in form of venture capital has been, until August 2015, performed through the established public-private partnerships. After the conclusion of the existent programme (after August 2015) a new line of support for venture capital is in plan, which may differ from the existing product in the period of 2009-2015.